Thursday, January 30, 2014

It's a New Day!

This morning, at 6:00, after being awake in the night at 12:00, 3:00, and 5:00, I sleepily peeled an orange and filled plastic, colored bowls with dry cereal while I started a morning movie for my kiddos.  My body wanted to go back to sleep but my spirit stirred within me.  Today is a new day.  

Moments from yesterday can be left behind.  For my kiddos...and mostly...for me.

Moments like Ella's fit at the library over not wanting to share a fairy, Sammy's meltdown at the start of handwriting, Micah's constant distraction during cursive time, and that time I needed to ask someone eight times to put their boots and coat and hat on.  Also those moments in which I growled at my children like some sort of a mama monster through gritted teeth to obey and listen and make good choices and work as a team.  

Sometimes I get it right, when I get down at their level, look in their little eyes, and talk to them intentionally and calmly about their behavior and about how their hearts will be happy when they make good choices.  And other times, I lose my cool.  I yell.  I become harsh.  My negative emotions bubble up inside me and they take over.  I become the mom I don't want to be.  The days can sometimes lean in one direction or the other, and yesterday, I concluded that the impatient mama took over more times than I would have wanted.

So as I awoke today, I spoke that truth to myself.

Today is a new day.
Yesterday is washed clean.
Grace abounds...yet again.
Time after time after time after time.
And this morning?
Well his mercies are new every morning.
Praise GOD!

Today, even though I am tired and not particularly motivated to make today fabulous, I am taking a moment to ask for God's grace today as I parent and mother and school and discipline.  As I toast bagels and brush teeth and change diapers and drive to karate and read geography and listen to readers being read and as I load the dishwasher and fold the laundry and remind my children to listen and obey.

More of you, God.
Less of me.

The kids and I just ran to the window to catch the glorious, orange splashes of the sunrise this morning while they were making beds.  What sweet timing!  As I am thinking of God's new mercies for me today, a picture of his beauty right before me as a reminder that He makes all things beautiful.

May your day be full of his abounding grace and his mercies that are new for you today.

Today, friends, is a NEW DAY!


4 comments:

  1. Oh, what beautiful timing on this, Sarah! I got up before the kids this morning, sat down with my coffee, and said to myself, "today is a new day." It was a rough day yesterday and there was a part of me that didn't want to face today, but after offering up words to God and then reading your post, I'm ready to face whatever God brings my way. God bless you and your family today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad, Heather!!! Blessings to you, too, friend! You are doing amazing!

      Delete
  2. You are lovely. Hugs! P.S. Just the fact that you can write the words "while they were making beds" makes you an impressive momma. :)

    ReplyDelete