Friday, July 19, 2013

Unplugging

This week has been one of those summer-to-the-brim weeks.  VBS at church for the boys, playdates, cooking club, pedicures with my sister, errands, and packing for vacation.  I have loved it all, although I will admit that I have collapsed into bed late each night, hoping my sleep will miraculously multiply for the next day's summer fun.

Zach and I and our kids are off to our little family vacation this afternoon.  My in-laws gave us an awesome deal we can't pass up to use their time share, so we are headed to Branson, Missouri.  The car is packed, the cooler is about to be filled, and the last-minute-list is getting tackled.  We all can't wait to be together on vacation for 8 days of togetherness.  I really, really believe in the value of spending time as a family, away from the day-to-day grind of life.  And, don't get me wrong, I love other trips we do with family or friends or to visit family out-of-state.  But there is something sacred to me about just the six of us spending time together.  I guard this protectively, and I treasure this time that we can build into each other, making memories and sharing so much time to talk and play and laugh.  Because our lives are full and busy, which is a rich and beautiful thing, I do love (and crave!) having 8 whole days to have no agenda, no place to be at a certain time, no mail, no cleaning, no errands, no scheduled activities.  The time is ours, and we can enjoy that sweet oasis as a break from our full lives.

To this end, we will be "unplugging" from social media for the week.  We may check emails or texts here or there, we may not.  But we definitely won't be checking Facebook or writing on the blog.  We are looking forward to filling some of our empty spaces with games of Candyland, decks of cards, impromptu trips to the pool, and late night movies and milkshakes on the couch after the kids are all in bed.

Happy Summer!

We are off to enjoy ours!

Much, much love,

The Schmidt 6

1 comment:

  1. Have a fabulous vacation!!! So excited for you guys to go spend time as a family:)

    ReplyDelete