Thursday, February 14, 2013

Thankful, Valentine's Thursday

It has been a full week around here.  Nothing earth shattering.  Just one of those weeks where each day is packed and each night you collapse into bed, ready to rest from the non-stop.  A museum field trip, book study, playdates, a trip to the city with my hubby for a work event (more on this later), the library, and now, Valentine's Day.  Like I said, nothing spectacular.  Just a lot of full days crammed into one week, which has not left empty space for blogging.  

Today we stayed home and enjoyed making our own little Valentine's Day party.  Zach stayed home for breakfast, and we had a feast!  (Although I planned pancakes to go along with breakfast so I could cut them into hearts and then FORGOT to cut them into hearts.  Oh well.  I don't think anyone cared except for me.  I made it up to them by cutting out sandwiches at dinner into hearts...)  We gave the children their annual gift...a book.  They passed out their valentines to each other.  Micah did a couple of Valentine's Day activities (i.e., crossword), and we enjoyed a sugar-cookie-making experience together.  Zach brought home flowers for me AND for Ella, and I seriously cried when I realized he had done this.  There is nothing more beautiful than seeing my husband cherish and love our daughter.  And I am thrilled she will have a high standard of how women should be treated.  We tucked the kids into bed and then enjoyed OUR annual Valentine's tradition...a Chinese and movie date night at home.  

I had a picture of the day being so perfect...the kids and I would do wonderful activities together all day and I would catch up on chores so the house was calm and peaceful when Zach came home.  But the morning was spent with disobedient children and a striving-for-patience mama, there were dirty dishes in my kitchen all day long, sprinkles and flour covered the table and much of the floor, Ella had a couple of accidents, Sophia didn't nap well, Ella's beloved teddy took a forced bath in the toilet, and my husband fell asleep only a few minutes into our movie.  The realities of life right here, friends!  It was not a picture perfect day, but it WAS a REAL day.  Real life, real messes, real imperfection.  And, looking back, I would say that it was a great day.  So here's hoping you had a great, REAL Valentine's Day, spent with the ones you love.  

Today, I am thankful for our sweet Sophia, who is starting to make messes of her own, following in the giant footsteps of her very-tiny older sister.

I am thankful for our fun sugar cookie activity!  The kids first complained about making cookies, but they changed their minds and ended up having a blast!




I am thankful for a husband that adores his daughters.

And I am thankful for two of my valentines, here in matching V-Day jammies.  Love.

What are you thankful for this Valentine's Day?


No comments:

Post a Comment