Thursday, April 11, 2013

Thankful Thursday

Our dear friends who live in Canada are here visiting.  Last night, Melissa and I got to stay out late chatting it up for a much-needed Girls Night.  Tonight they spoiled us and took us to a Japanese Hibatchi grill for an early birthday dinner.  It was such a treat for Zach and me!  They cook the delicious food at the table, and it just keeps coming!  And as if that were not enough, we settled into a cozy booth at a local cafe for tea and pie after.  This is not something Zach and I do often.  We love to go out on dates, and we've had our share of weddings and events to attend through the years, but we can probably count on one hand the number of times we've gone out with friends withOUT kids.  It was really a fun treat, so I am thankful for that today.

I am thankful that in spite of three kids with fevers today, we all still enjoyed a quiet day at home.  My boys spent most of the day on the couch, watching a movie and flipping through books and Micah reading novels. I am thankful that my boys love to read because sick days aren't such torture for them.

I am thankful that my kids are such dear friends.  They always have each other, and my heart just soars watching them be friends and do their little lives together.  Ella and Sophia have even been jiving together lately, making each other giggle and dance.  Precious beyond precious.

Today, while the boys rested on the couch and the girls napped, I put a CD of kids' hymns on for the boys, I made a cup of tea and sat on the couch under a blanket with my Bible and my journal.  This almost never happens.  I soaked it up.  Thankful.

I am thankful that Zach and I are a team.  I really, really, really never want to take this for granted.  We have our messy moments, and we are far from perfect, but I am beyond thankful for my husband and for our marriage.

Remember my Orange Rhino Challenge?  I am not yelling at my kids.  I have had my angry or impatient moments, but I have not been "losing it."  I do not say this to toot my own horn but to truly express how thankful I am that I can change and grow and learn.  Habits can be broken.  New ways can be learned.  (And only, only through the power of the Holy Spirit and through God's grace over me!!!)  Again, thankful that I am an imperfect work of progress.

What are you thankful for today?

No comments:

Post a Comment