Thursday, December 6, 2012

Thankful Thursday

My kiddos are already in bed, so they are not able to weigh in on today's thankful list.  It's a good thing, though, because I didn't have my computer out today.  I only checked my email once and put the laptop away again, so I very much liked it not being a distraction from my parenting or my life today.  Don't get me wrong...the laptop and the Internet are a wonderful thing and very necessary at times, but today, it was a nice break.

Today, I am thankful for my house decorated for Christmas.  I love it.  I love the Christmas season, I love the lit-up tree, I love the big basket of Christmas books, my beautiful Christmas dishes, the box of Christmas music, and the stockings hung in a row from our bookshelf.  I love it all.  Today the kids and I made a paper chain, and I am particularly thankful for the jagged cutting, green and red construction paper links hanging in our living room.

I am also thankful for a less-scheduled, less-busy week.  We have been home every evening this week, a rarity for us, and we are enjoying the slower pace.  I am thankful for time to work on Christmas gifts and stuff Christmas cards and fold laundry and cook dinner.  I love my role as a stay-at-home mama.

Micah and Sammy continue to carry-out with great conviction and passion our superhero-named family.  Our titles are becoming quite the norm.  In fact, I am missing the name, "Mommy."  I am thankful, though, for their sweet imaginations and the creativity with which they play and move and breathe.  It is so inspired and brilliant.  In case you are wondering, Sophia has graduated from "Short Hair" to "Baby Fantastic."  I am still Spidergirl, Zach is still Wolverine, Ella is still Black Widow, and Micah is still Hulk.  Sammy's identity, however, seems to change weekly, if not daily.  His current identity is Big Boy Hulk, with Micah as his "dad" Hulk.  LOVE it.

I found out today that Sophia is allergic to dairy, and since I am still nursing, that means a dairy-free diet for myself, too.  Although I will admit that tears were shed over this discovery (many of them selfish and self-pitying for the ice cream and cheese and hot cocoa and Christmas goodies I will not be able to enjoy), I am wanting to be thankful for the blessings in this situation...that I now know to cut dairy out of Sophia's diet (which will hopefully lead to less colds, ear infections, and diaper rashes), that she is young enough to not know the difference, that I already have lots of dairy-free foods and recipes (due to Sammy's dairy allergy), and that it is only a temporary diet change for me.  Sometimes when I feel sad about Sammy's allergies (and now Sophia's, too), I think of the many parents who have real, hard diagnoses for their children, like awful diseases or mental health conditions, and I realize that I would take allergies and ear infections any day.  So thankful for the health that we do have.

I am thankful for our daily advent devotions which are reminding us of the real meaning of Christmas...the birth of a Savior for our needy world.  May you know, today, the joy and peace and life that He offers freely to all.

What are you thankful for today?


No comments:

Post a Comment