Thursday, April 19, 2012

Thankful Thursday

So I am copying the idea of some other bloggers I've seen who have done "Thankful Thursday."  I love this.  I love when I have an avenue that encourages me to intentionally be thankful.

I have decided to start implementing this with my children, as well.  This morning, my boys started complaining about their waffles I put before them at breakfast.  Instead of snapping at them to stop complaining, as I often would, I took a deep breath, ignored their complaints, and eagerly asked them instead to play the "Thankful Game" where they came up with things they were thankful for this morning.  And guess what?  Their complaints instantly stopped, they started happily eating their waffles, and took turns telling me their thankful list.  (Don't you love these rare moments of mothering inspiration that actually work??)

Micah's Thankful List
-Mommy and Daddy
-my school
-my counsins
-our neighbors
-that we have food to eat
-for today...that we built a zoo

Sammy's Thankful List
-Raisin Bran
-Ella
-my cousins
-Mommy and Daddy
-Auntie Katie
-Chuck
-Michigan
-Crystal Lake
-the Wauconda Library
-Connor

I love their thankful hearts.

Today I am thankful for my boys who eagerly list their gifts.
I am thankful for Sophia's new smiles that bubble up laughter in me every. single. time.
I am thankful for hot tea in the morning.
For the comfort of home on a rainy Thursday.
I am thankful for the anticipation of a trip to Michigan tomorrow to see my bestest of friends.
I am thankful for songs in the background to uplift my spirit.
And I am thankful for the truth that no matter what happened yesterday or the day before, that today is a new day and that "his mercies are new every morning."

What are you thankful for today?

10 comments:

  1. Dude...Auntie Ktie made the list, but not Uncle Dave? Disappointing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Guess you'll have to try harder to get on his next list. :-)

      Delete
    2. I guess we now know who Sammy's favorites are.... One member from each family made the list... Auntie Katie, Chuck, and Connor... :)

      Delete
    3. ok, well it is noted that Grandma and Grandpa received nary a mention. so glass half empty solution: Kids don't like us. Kind of like Dave and all of the other relatives not mentioned. Glass half full solution: Gotta see you all more or call more often. We need to get in more loving and hugging and being silly. We are pretty good with that.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am thankful that, just now, the online travel site made an exception and allowed me to cancel my non-changeable and non-refundable flight, the dates of which conflicted with the family calendar! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awe...saw this post and it makes me smile that Sammy is thankful for me! I'm thankful for him, too! :) And, Sarah - great that you are blogging! So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thankful for...
    warm blankets out of the dryer
    hot tea
    hot baths (I am sensing a theme here)
    round hairbrushes and blow dryers
    adult kids who still say I love you
    grandkids who love with pure and innocent passion
    a husband who kisses me hello and goodbye every day
    novocaine

    ReplyDelete