Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Michigan Moments

After an eventful five hour drive to Grand Rapids, just my kiddos and me (eventful = car temporarily breaking down on the interstate, a toddler bathroom emergency, diaper explosion, toll issues, traffic, etc.), we arrived for a whirlwind visit with my best friend, who also happens to be my sister-in-law, and my nephews, who also happen to be my kids' best friends.  We all LOVED our time together.  Summer is most fun spent with others you love, and we loved our summer time with them!  Here are some highlights...

-watching the five "big" kids dig in the dirt and the gopher holes

-talking for hours with Kim and watching her getting to know my Sophia more

-running through and playing at the Meijer Gardens

-tea party at the Treehouse

-digging in the sand

-burying Micah

-Ella splashing (and sitting) in the water table

-cooling off on a HOT day

-park time!

-Ella fitting RIGHT inside the spinning seat

-Micah loving his time to play

-resting after a hard day's play!

-going out for ice cream! (and french fries for Sammy, who is allergic to dairy)

-my little diva at the playplace (doesn't everyone wear sunglasses indoors?)

-one last morning of playtime before our drive home!

Some moments weren't able to be captured on camera, like the sweet way my nephew Nolan smiles at everyone, delightfully saying "thank you" to anyone who does anything for him...five kids standing in the bathtub for cleaning hands and feet...meals around the table together...tea and chocolate treats when all six kids were finally asleep...and that sweet, friend time to talk and talk about life and about mothering and about friendship, wrestling together over the shooting in Colorado and why evil is a part of our world, sharing our victories and struggles in raising young ones, and safely and openly analyzing our parenting - what works and what doesn't, how we succeed and fail, and how we can keep striving to do our best to raise godly children.  I was in desperate need of "girlfriend time," to have those endless conversations about mothering and about life that remind me what I want to do with my life, what I want for my family, how I want to disciple my children, where my time and energy need to go, and mostly, how very blessed I am.  I was very much aware of how much I love my life and how thankful I am for friends who remind me of these things.

Do you have a friend on the road of mothering with you? or just the road of life??  Share with them how you are doing and feeling.  Let them in to your struggles and successes...I promise that you will be blessed.  I believe we were meant to do life together.

Thanks, "Auntie Pim," as Ella says, for letting us invade your home and for enjoying summer together for a few days. We LOVE you all and treasure your friendship and the gift it is to do life together!

2 comments: