Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Summer Gifts

Last week I hit a rut.

I started feeling tired and worn out, struggling to have the joy that usually marks my days, reaching to find the perspective I want to have.  During these few days of being "off," I really tried hard to talk it through with my husband, to pray for a renewal of my mind, and to once again practice naming my gifts.

I really and truly believe that Ann Voskamp has it exactly right about true life and joy and peace coming from the simple act of giving thanks, naming gifts, being obedient to notice the grace around us and turning right back to God to give him the glory.

During my rut-days, I had a hard time doing this, and as I have practiced and practiced naming these gifts since then, I am being restored to a place of joy and perspective.  Ahh, what a relief.

Yesterday was one of those summer-loving days that made it easy to find gifts to name.

After dropping off my oldest at our church's VBS, I met my mom and sister at a local Farmer's Market.  Colors and smiles and fresh produce were everywhere around, and I couldn't help but get drawn in to the wonderful atmosphere, thankful to be alive and thankful to have such a simple and wonderful summer experience with my children.

We stopped at the booth of a local baker who happens to make dairy-free cookies for Sammy.  JOY!  He was so excited to have a chocolate cookie he could eat (although he ended up not liking it...sigh!).




We also visited the flower booth where you can create your own bouquet for $5...it was SO fun to see my children surrounded by colorful flowers all around, soaking it in and learning how to appreciate beauty.  They helped me create a bouquet to take home, and my heart was bursting...






After picking out tomatoes and green beans and cucumbers and ears of corn (most of which we consumed that evening for dinner!), we ducked into the Starbucks for a break from the relentless heat and a snack time for the kiddos (and iced drinks for the mamas!!)...


We all had lunch together, too, after I picked up Micah, and I still loved the happy chaos, even though I was definitely living in the reality of my mama life, attempting to eat salad over my nursing baby when my toddler holds fingers out to me covered in something quite awful from inside her diaper...so after a diaper fiasco with both girls and about a half hour in the bathroom, I emerged once again, laughing that this is my life (and definitely way too busy to even know where my camera was, much less take pictures of the moment).  

After an already-wonderful summer day, the joy kept coming as my parents spontaneously joined us for dinner and we sat and enjoyed burgers on the grill along with some of our delicious fresh vegetable treats from the Market.  And to top it all off, Zach surprised me by bringing home a movie (which is one of my favorite ways to end the day).  

All throughout my day, I inwardly kept noting the gifts, the beauty, the joy all around me...
home-grown tomatoes, friendly farmers, fresh flowers in buckets, colors bursting, sun shining, babies smiling, sweet, crunchy popcorn, iced caramel coffees, lunchtime salads, giggling cousins, cookie crumbs on a summer dress, toddler hand fitting in mine, fresh diapers, family gathered around the table, prayers from children's lips...grace, grace, GRACE given in the beauty of life all around us, if we will only just notice and take the time to name it and give praise to the most magnificent of Creators, the one from whom all blessings flow.


Oh, the joys of summer days!!  Thank you, Jesus.

6 comments:

  1. Needed this today Sarah, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved reading your post (as always)
    Loved spending time with you (yesterday and today)
    Love your Bigs and your Littles
    Love your joy
    Love your warmth
    Love your hugs
    Love your perspective
    Love you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. needed this today...water running out of walls onto basement floor, valves breaking off in my wrench, wet drywall (how ironic), unrelated broken toilet.......thank you Lord for James Payauys, Grandma's toilet right next door, the air conditioning is working, my husband loves me enough to come home early from work to help, food in the fridge, internet works, it rained on our new grass last night....most of all: Praise God from whom all blessings flow, He is the same today as yesterday, solid, unmovable, loving, just, gracious....amen. AVIARD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Agnes, what a day!!! Love that you can be thankful in it all. Love YOU!

      Delete
  4. Great post Sarah! Very encouraging!

    ReplyDelete