Thursday, January 17, 2013

Thankful Thursday

Micah's Gifts
I am thankful for...
...Mommy.
...noodles.
...God.
...the people who created the Wizard of Oz book (the classic story).
...my family and my friends.
...that we are not poor.
...that we don't have to live in a place with big, creepy bugs, like Brazil.
...that I'm almost done with my math book (Alpha).

Sammy's Gifts
I am thankful for...
...the Rookie Perplexus ball.
...our library books.
...that Daddy is coming home tomorrow from Washington, D.C.

My Gifts
Today I am kind of a mess.  I am getting through the day, but I am needing much grace and perspective, which I am thankfully working towards.  My hubby is gone all week for work, and although the kids and I have been enjoying our week together, I miss my other half.  I know that God did not intend that we would do parenting on our own, and my heart aches for the many women out there that are single moms.  What strength and courage they must possess.  I am thankful, today, to be married and to most-of-the-time not have to do this parenting thing alone.  I am so thankful for my husband and all he does for our family and the ways in which he loves our children and supports me in my passions and emotions and callings.  Immensely grateful for him, and I am so thankful that he is coming home tomorrow!!  Yay!

I am thankful for real friends and to be able to honestly say to them, "Today, I was becoming unglued," and to hear them say, "That's okay."  I am so very thankful for this Unglued book I am reading right now.  I highly recommend it.  Isn't it true that we all have unglued moments from here to there?  How amazing to have a resource to learn how and why we become unglued and what we can do about it!  And today, after my unglued moments, I am thankful that I can apologize to my kids for being a mess, and I have the power to put it behind me and to move forward to create a new pattern and environment for our home.  Just because I had a rough hour does not mean I have to continue to have a rough day.  (Can you tell I am trying to tell myself this?)  Always, always thankful for grace and for second chances and for fresh starts, even when our "ugly" flares.

This week a woman from my church offered (more like, insisted) to watch my children for me to have a break. I couldn't think of any other time that someone has offered to just watch all my children for me to do whatever I want to do.  Who does that?  She graciously watched my children for three hours while I filled my cart (alone) with fresh fruits, vegetables, and deli meat, ate a sandwich at Potbelly (my favorite), read my Bible, listed some gifts in my gift journal (Ann Voskamp, One Thousand Gifts, always on my mind...), ordered a soy latte from Starbucks, and started a novel.  I literally didn't know what to do with myself, but I did enjoy the time to breathe and pray and sing and soak in the sunshine, and just have a still spirit.  (And I am majorly taking mental note to do this for a young mama when I am older...what a gift!)  So I am thankful for this gracious woman and for this alone time.

I am so thankful to be homeschooling, I am thankful for such a happy baby, I am thankful for hot tea, for freshly washed sheets, for a playdate with good friends, and for flowers in a vase on my kitchen counter.  I am thankful for Legos and my children's creativity and for their love of books.  I am thankful for Scripture set to music and for our family memorizing verses together, along with our church.  I am thankful for this life as a mama at home with my children.  And I am thankful that we have all that we need.

What are you thankful for today?

2 comments: