Monday, March 4, 2013

Sweeping

This morning I have been practicing the sweeping away of discontentment with some naming of gifts.

Yesterday, we were supposed to leave for St. Louis to tag along on a work trip for my husband.  All the bags were packed and waiting by the front door.  Groceries were ready in the fridge for the cooler, and a list of last-minute essentials sat waiting on the counter.  The plan was to go to church, stay for an anniversary celebration luncheon, and then take off for Missouri!!  We had plans to see family there and do some fun activities and adventures.  The kids were excited, and I was excited.

And then we had to cancel our trip.  Sophia had been running a fever for five days, and since we didn't know what was going on with her, we just felt the kids and I needed to stay home.  So with a grumbling spirit, I unpacked all of our bags and tearfully said good-bye to Zach as he left to catch a last-minute flight (I know, I   know...I can be a bit emotional).  I thought we would call and pick up some Mexican food for a fun treat since we had to cancel our trip....and then realized they closed early.  I then went to heat up some beans to make our own burritos at home, only to drop the bowl of beans on the ground, which ended in a pile of broken glass and splattered beans all over the kitchen floor.  Grrrr....I was NOT in a cheerful mood.  I was not having a joyful spirit.

So this morning, as I woke to start a new day, I was determined to sweep away my grumbling mood and replace it with an "attitude of gratitude," as I have taught my children to do.  And this silly line from my childhood is so right on.  The only way to sweep away that discontent is to start practicing gratitude, to say aloud, or to solidify on paper, the gifts that we have right in front of our eyes.

...waffles with my children for breakfast...starting the day caught up on laundry...Sophia's new teeth poking through...Ella's sweet early-morning phone call with Nana...a cup of hot tea...morning devotions...my children's grateful lists at prayertime...a fresh page on the calendar...

It is the little, every day things that can be counted and appreciated.  And I really and truly believe that this is the answer to canning the negativity.

So this morning, I will be thankful for today.  When I was a teacher, I used to write on my board, "Make it a great day!!"  Today, I will strive to follow my own advice, choosing joy instead of discontent, gratitude over grumbling.

I pray that you will, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment