Friday, September 14, 2012

Some Days

Some days, the toys are picked up at the right time, the girls take a nice, long nap, and I even make a cup of tea in the middle of the afternoon.

Some days, the hamper is empty, the counters are cleared, and the dishwasher is unloaded.

Some days, there are brownies baking in the oven, and a made-from-scratch dinner is on the table at 5:30 when my husband gets home from work.

Some days, the routine works, the schedule works, and the chores get done.

Other days, it doesn't.  And they don't.

Because some days, the dishes stay in the sink, the hamper is overflowing, and I am throwing in a frozen pizza for dinner.

Some days, I am stepping over dirty pajamas and diapers and puzzle pieces to run a paci to the crying baby. Or I am a step behind a busy toddler dumping out a cup of water, pressing buttons on the computer, and dumping out a box of baking soda in the pantry.

Today is one of those days.

Math and reading books spread on the couch, scraps of cut paper on the floor, sweatshirts and lunch bags from our morning at the park strewn across the chairs and floor.  Dirty dishes, diapers, and laundry waiting for some attention...this is the kind of day we are having.

And I, by grace from our gracious Father, am embracing it.

Embracing the messy, embracing the "undones," embracing the imperfect.

Don't get me wrong...I love the days when things go smoothly and the house is peacefully in order.

But the reality is that it cannot be so every day.

We need to have the "some days" in order to live in the reality that is life.

So for today, I am choosing to take a deep breath, thankful for fresh air coming in through the windows, and smile and hug my children as I attempt to put dishes in the sink, clothes in the hamper, and sweatshirts on hooks.

Because this season is sweet.

And life is good.

Hoping you can embrace your "some day," too, whichever kind it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment