Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Weekly Recipe: Chicken Tortilla Soup

So I have decided to start posting a weekly recipe!

I know I shared a bit ago how mealtime is sacred to me, and I love the process of making that happen!

Even though cooking is something that I love, my time for it is limited!!  So I am always looking for quick, easy, (and affordable!) recipes to have ready when my hubby comes home from dinner so we can enjoy the dinner hour together as a family.  Seriously...I LOVE easy when it comes to the kitchen.

For my first recipe, I would like to share the BEST and EASIEST recipe...a true, weeknight go-to meal that can literally be thrown together in five minutes.  Can't beat that.

PLUS, it is gluten-free and dairy-free...and delicious!

CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP

In a crockpot, combine the following ingredients...

4 chicken breast halves (they can even be frozen)
1 can stewed tomatoes
1 can (14 oz.) black beans (drained and rinsed)
1 can (15 oz.) tomato sauce
1 can corn (drained and rinsed)
1 can diced tomatoes with green chilies
1 cup salsa
Crushed red pepper

Stir up ingredients and cook 8 hours on low (or 4 hours on high).
Before serving, take out the chicken breasts, cut or shred, and put back in the soup.
Serve with shredded cheese, sour cream, and corn chips (or tortilla chips)!

That's literally it!
So for all you busy mamas out there, throw these ingredients together after breakfast (and even let your toddler "help" by dumping in all the cans!) and your dinner is done for the day!  Such a great Suzy-Homemaker-feeling!!

Enjoy!

(Thanks to Amy Cook for sharing this recipe with me a few years ago!)

No comments:

Post a Comment