Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mother's Day Blessings

This Mother's Day, I have been contemplating my many blessings in the area of mothering.

First of all, I am so incredibly blessed to have an amazing mother.  She and I have always been super close since I was a little girl.  The bond that we share is unlike any other relationship and I treasure it immensely.  She is the kind of mom that seemed to do it all well...making memories, spending time with us, speaking truth into us, laughing, crying, and talking with us, and doing all in her power to let us know that she was crazy about us.  She definitely succeeded.  She is one of the most amazing people I know, and I can only hope to give to my children the kind of childhood she gave to me.

My husband's parents were divorced and remarried when he was a boy, so I have always known both his mom and his stepmom, which gives me two mother-in-laws.  I am so blessed to have great relationships with them both.  They are both so fun and kind and generous and have spoiled us with their love and attention.  They love my children well and love us so well, too.  I appreciate so much the honest, authentic relationships I have with them both.  What a gift.

I am also experiencing Mother's Day not just as a daughter but as a mom, myself.  And I am feeling so blessed to be a mother.  The joy and life and delight that comes from being a mom is indescribable and my journey of motherhood these last six years has been incredible...not easy, but incredible.  A wise woman at church reminds us that God didn't give us marriage to make us happy, but holy.  And when it comes to motherhood, she said that is when we learn to completely die to ourselves.  I have learned so much about myself in being a mother, and I hope that God will use this role of mine to transform me more into his likeness.  Being a mom is my highest calling, and I am honored and privileged to have this most thrilling, demanding, and rewarding job.

I keep hearing this message of not walking the road of motherhood alone, and so I am also beyond blessed to have other mommy friends in which to journey with...both in my best friend, sister, and sister-in-law and in my friends from church and book study and other places...I know that so often, moms can feel isolated and alone, and I am thankful that this is not an experience I have had to have as a mother.  I love getting to share my joys and trials with others going through the same seasons, and I have learned immensely from the mothers around me.

So today, thank you God for my making me a mother and for my mom, my mother-in-laws, and my mommy friends in which I can do life with.

Happy Mother's Day!

My mom, my kiddos, and me at the park today for a Mother's Day picnic together

No comments:

Post a Comment