Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Rushed to Relax

Have you ever found yourself yelling at your kids to hurry, hurry, hurry so you can leave to go have FUN?

I have been thinking lately on this concept of rushing so we can relax.

There are so many mornings when I am trying to get us to a park or playdate or activity, and, as a result, I end up impatient and frustrated with my non-quick-moving children who don't have a concept of time or rushing or punctuality.  I have listened to myself barking orders to, "Brush your teeth...Pick up the toys...Put your crocs on...Go potty!" as I bustle around stocking the diaper bag, filling water bottles, changing diapers, and throwing breakfast dishes in the sink.  Our mornings can sometimes be crazy, and I have been reflecting on this sober truth with much desire for change...

Why am I slacking in my patient parenting so that we can hurry and go have fun for a few extra minutes??  Why am I brushing off my children's creativity and playful desires so they can go be creative and play elsewhere??

Zach and I recently chuckled together over the fact that we are occasionally rushing out the door to church, sometimes with some frustration, so we can hurry and peacefully worship??  Ha!

I am realizing that I am looking to God in the events and tasks and schedules of our lives, counting gifts, praying, living intentionally...but what about the in-between times??  the transition times??  the get-things-done-and-moving times??

I want to see God in it all.

I want to invite God into every moment of my life - in the breakfast time with my children, during our errands, at the park with friends, and in all the in-between momentsl  I want to be teaching my children how to live with patience and a calm spirit, even when there are places to be and much to be done.  I want this to be an intentional time of parenting and teaching my children responsibility, but also, teaching them how to live with the Spirit at the center at all times...

Ann Voskamp writes in her article, "When You're Finding it Hard to be Patient," the following excerpt...


In every moment I want to escape, some hidden gift hides, if I will wait patiently and dare to live to fully into that moment.
Deep breathe. Love is patient.
I can smile here — because really — there are no emergencies.
Emergencies are wildfires, screeching sirens, and gaping wounds. In everyday life, we rarely experience emergencies.
As Simone Weil writes, “Waiting patiently…is the foundation of the spiritual life.”
Really, what catastrophe will befall if we’re late? Or dinner is on the table 15 minutes after six? Or we have to look another 10 minutes for junior’s shoe?
No emergencies. Now is good.
Now is not an emergency to rip through, but a moment to embrace with gratitude.

I want to live in the NOW..."Now is good."  
I want to soak up my children and the gift that is the moment even through the chores and the discipline and the getting out the door.  
I want to stop this pattern of rushing to relax and, instead, live intentionally and boldly, with thanksgiving, through it all.
Care to join me?

Click here for Ann Voskamp's full article...

http://www.incourage.me/2012/07/when-youre-finding-it-hard-to-be-patient.html





2 comments:

  1. Beautifully put! I just posted her article yesterday! Love! Thanks for sharing Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, isn't she the best? I posted her article last week, too. LOVE it.

      Delete