Monday, June 18, 2012

Seeing and Tasting

Our Five Senses Week

Day 3: Seeing

In continuing with our Five Senses Week, here are some of the gifts that Micah and I saw over the past couple of days...  My amazingly generous mom and stepdad took Micah and my nephew, Chuck, on a trip to Florida for the week.  Micah and I talked on the phone and he told me the things he saw on his travel day.  He was too excited to talk for long, but here is his list...

Micah:
I saw with my eyes...
an airplane
clouds
the sky
people
rain

Micah and Chuck at the Orlando airport...

I have been intentionally looking for the gifts that I see around me, and I am amazed at how much I have to be thankful for.  I see my husband crawling under the kitchen table to go in Sammy's pretend "jail" and I see their arms punching the air together as they reenact Bible stories.  I see Micah's excited smile as we load his suitcases and send him off on his first trip away from home without us.  I see fellow worshippers at church raising their hands in adoration of the giver of all good gifts.  I see the blue, blue eyes of all my children - their one commonality unique to just them (as neither Zach nor I have blue eyes).  I see Ella's thin pigtails bouncing around as she is joyfully bouncing from here to there.   I see Sophia's adoring round eyes brighten as she looks at each of us around her.  




I see the many messes around me of children happy at play.  I see our cozy home, imperfect, but perfect for our family at this stage of our lives.  I see the ways in which life is good and the ways in which God is ALWAYS good and I want to focus on these things with deep contentment for the journey God has put me on.


Day 4: Tastimg

Since Micah spent his day with Nana and Papa at the beach, here are some of the things he tasted...


-salt water ("I'm not thankful that God gave me salt water," he says.)
-syrup with pancakes
-peanut butter and honey sandwich
-salty chips
-lemonade
-chocolate and vanilla twisted ice cream
-pizza

And some of the gifts I tasted today...
-hot scrambled eggs
-perfectly ripe, juicy, sweet strawberries that we picked ourselves!  
(Zach had the day off work today so we took our three littles to a nearby farm where you can pick your own strawberries and snap peas.  It was such a fun experience...we picked and sampled and had picnic lunches at the farm before coming home for naps and really enjoyed the day spent outside, soaking up the sunshine and making memories as a family.)







-crunchy snap peas
-salad with fresh vegetables and flavorful feta
-warm pasta with roasted chicken, creamy sauce, and fresh steamed broccoli
-strong fresh parmesan
-olive oil mixed with warm focaccia
-strawberry shortcakes enjoyed on our nightly "mini dates," as we refer to them

Although I wouldn't normally do this exercise of noticing the five senses around me if I didn't have a five-year-old, I am enjoying the challenge to pay attention to the ways in which we can experience life with the amazing bodies God gave us.  I have loved paying attention to these gifts throughout my days and hope I will continue to do so!

No comments:

Post a Comment